is a designer and independent privacy researcher based in Berlin. His work investigates the convergence of surveillance, privacy, and data analysis technologies.
"The NSA declined to comment on Harvey's work, as did the Office of the Director of National Intelligence." Washington Post
Stratosphere of Surveillance - NYU Fall 2015
Stratosphere of Surveillance is a graduate class at the Interactive Telecommunications Program at New York University that explores a multitude of surveillance technologies with a hands-on approach in order to formulate more informed ideas about privacy. Topics covered include: introduction to concepts of privacy and personal data, incentivized interrogation and information processing, web browsers and digital surveillance, WiFi MAC address tracking, MiTM web traffic inspection, biometrics and computer vision, expressive interference and artistic responses.
- Stealth Wear & Privacy Gift Shop - New Museum Store Pop-up Exhibition. New Museum Store.. 8/2013
- Think Privacy - New Museum Store Pop-up Exhibition.'. 3/2016.
- Stealth Wear - New Designs for Countersurveillance. Tank HQ. London.. 1/2013
- Welcome to Ecuador! - w/!Mediengruppe Bitnik at Zoo Galerie curated by Aude Launay. 6/2016
- Utah Museum of Contemporary Art - PANOPTICON. 2015
- School of the Museum of Fine Arts - Permanent War: The Age of Global Conflict. 2015
- CPDP2015 - CPDP2015. 2015
- Helen Day Art Center - Surveillance Society. 3/1/2014
- Aloviikt - Privacy Gift Shop. 1/1/2014
- FACELESS - Privacy Gift Shop and CV Dazzle. 10/1/2013
- New Museum Store - Privacy Gift Shop Pop-Up Store. 10/1/2013
- UTS Gallery - Trace Recordings: Surveillance and identity in the 21st century. 10/1/2013
- Gallery Project - Drones. 10/1/2013
- Drone Research Lab - Air Rights. 9/1/2013
- AND Festival - Stealth Wear: ‘Anti-Drone’ Hoodie. 8/1/2013
- Museum für Kommunikation - Control – ‘Anti-Drone’ Hoodie. 6/1/2013
- Prague Art/Sci/Tech Biennale - Biopolis. 4/1/2013
- Stealth Wear - New Designs for Countersurveillance. 1/1/2013
- Voegele Kultur Zentrum - D.E.F.E.N.C.E.. 5/1/2012
- On Stellar Rays - FaceTime. 1/1/2012
Selected Press Archive
- For the Walker Art Center, a Shop That Peddles Evanescence - New York Times
- Hair and Makeup Outsmarts Computers - Yahoo!
- A Novel Tech Incubator That Silicon Valley Wouldn’t Understand - Wired
- Here Are Wearables That Protect Your Privacy - Forbes
- Hide with Fashion - EIYE
- Why Anti-Tech Is in Style — Literally - Yahoo! Tech
- What Artist Are Showing Us About Surveillance And The Law - Life of the Law
- Konst som sätter stopp för övervakningen - SVT
- Disappear in an anti-drone hoodie - Dazed
- Stealth Wear Makes Jump From Art to Product - Fast Company
- Stealth Wear Anti Drone Clothing - Dezeen
- Aesthetics of Privacy - Neural.it
- Here’s a Privacy Accessory for Your Phone: OFF Pocket Blocks Signals - Animal New York
- 'Anti-Drone' Hoodie By Adam Harvey Is Your Ready-To-Wear Counter-Surveillance Solutizon - Huffington Post
- Stealth Wear: Protecting Privacy Through Fashion - The Genteel
- Fashion Statement: Designer Creates Line of Drone-Proof Garments to Protect Privacy - Scientific American
- Adam Harvey Launches Stealth Wear, an Anti-Drone Clothing Line - The Daily Beast
- Stealth Wear by Adam Harvey - Slate
- How to hide from face-detection technology - CNN
- Student thwarts face detection software with 'CV Dazzle' makeup - Engadget
- Gesichtserkennung: Tarnschminke für Facebook - Die Presse
- How to Camouflage Yourself From Facial Recognition Technology - New York Times
- Camouflage gets hi-tech makeover - Reuters
- Anti-paparazzi handbag - Boing Boing
- From Spam to Porn to Art - Wired
I'm based in Berlin and am available for speaking or consulting about topics related to privacy and computer vision. Past events include re:publica (Berlin), European Commission's Annual Security Symposium (Brussels), HOPE (NYC), Elevate (Graz, Austria), and CCC (Hamburg).
- Future Greats 2014. Art Review magazine. 2014.
- Webby Award Nominee for CV Dazzle. 2012.
- Core77 Design Award. CV Dazzle. Speculative Concepts 1st Prize (student). 2011.
In general you're welcome to use images from this site for non-commercial uses such as educational presentations. If your usage involves many 3rd party trackers or the presentation is for commercial purposes, please send an email with details about your usage. Thanks for asking first.
For print-resolution images please contact me.